Image HTML map generator

August 28, 2015

Book Review: The Deep End Of The Sea


Title: The Deep End of the Sea
Author: Heather Lyons
Publisher: Cerulean Books
Publication Date: February 5, 2014
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Greek Mythology, New Adult

SYNOPSIS

What if all the legends you've learned were wrong?

Brutally attacked by one god and unfairly cursed by another she faithfully served, Medusa has spent the last two thousand years living out her punishment on an enchanted isle in the Aegean Sea. A far cry from the monster legends depict, she’s spent her time educating herself, gardening, and desperately trying to frighten away adventure seekers who occasionally end up, much to her dismay, as statues when they manage to catch her off guard. As time marches on without her, Medusa wishes for nothing more than to be given a second chance at a life stolen away at far too young an age.

But then comes a day when Hermes, one of the few friends she still has and the only deity she trusts, petitions the rest of the gods and goddesses to reverse the curse. Thus begins a journey toward healing and redemption, of reclaiming a life after tragedy, and of just how powerful friendship and love can be—because sometimes, you have to sink in the deep end of the sea before you can rise back up again.

REVIEW

Most of you who are familiar with Greek mythology are aware of Medusa. A woman cursed by Athena and turned into a snake headed monster whose eyes could turn anyone to stone.

Heather Lyons has taken this same Medusa's legend and has turned it into a wonderful and heartfelt story of redemption, hope, love and friendship. And I love this book

"I am a monster. The worst kind of monster. The kind that people have told stories about for thousands of years. The kind that daredevils.. seek out, even though many believe I'm nothing more than a myth. I am the Gorgon Medusa. And my eyes can turn anything living to stone."

THE CHARACTERS

1. Medusa

Medusa might have been a monster in appearance but her heart was gentle. Right in the beginning of the story, we see her wallow in guilt because of the people who have lost their lives due to her curse. For about two thousand years she's lived alone in a remote island haunted by gruesome memories. She has two friends who visit her occasionally, the blind old man Mikkos and Hermes(yes the god Hermes) who doesn't seem to care about the risk of death but for her and only her.

Just a few chapters in and all I wanted to do was hug Medusa and tell her everything would be alright. I wanted to put her in a safe bubble and protect her. She's so strong, yet unaware of it and so hesitant to trust and love again and that's completely understandable. She struggles to come to terms with her past and learns to trust other people.

2. Hermes

Hermes is Medusa's best friend and oh man do I love him. He's that sort of a person who goes out of his way to make other people happy but he doesn't trust easily. After seeing Medusa suffer for centuries, he finally decides it's time to change that and brings her case to the Assembly. Thanks to him, and a few other gods(mainly Hades) Medusa is given a second chance at living.

Its clear to the readers that Hermes is hopelessly in love with Dusa (Hermes' name for her) but it takes sometime for her to realize that. I loved how their friendship blossomed into love and Medusa learnt to trust someone else. What I liked a lot is the fact that Hermes was initially attracted to Medusa's personality; her kindness and compassion long before her curse was removed.

"What kind of so-called monster weeps like her heart had shattered and never would form whole again?... I knew from that very second I heard your anguish. I'm afraid I was lost to you from that moment on. I had to discover all that made you you."

THE MYTHOLOGY

I loved how the Greek gods were portrayed in this book. They're human by nature and many mortals have suffered at their hands. As much as I loved their portrayal, I truly hated Athena and Poseidon and for most part of the book, I just couldn't understand why these two couldn't let go of something that happened two thousand years back. I've read many books based on Greek mythology and this is the first time I've hated some of the gods.

In contrast to those two, we have Hades and Persephone and I loved them. I loved how these two supported Medusa and were trying to right the wrongs of their crazy siblings. I also loved their back story. Aphrodite and Hephaestus too were charming together.

Until this book, I never really gave much thought to Medusa because she was always the villain but now, seeing her as the victim has changed my perception of her. I absolutely loved her character in this book and never will I ever be able to see her as anything other than the Medusa Heather Lyons has created.

Have you read The Deep End of the Sea?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...